Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Reddit Share on Pinterest Share on Linkedin Share on Tumblr Fife Council workmanship has been criticised after newly fitted kitchen units collapsed just days before Christmas. As part of the Kitchen upgrade scheme being carried out in council rented homes across Fife, a family living in Bernaty were shocked when a newly fitted kitchen unit collapsed. Mrs Hampton took to Facebook after the incident to warn other residents in the local area. Posting on local community page Benarty Matters: “All your new fitted kitchens by Fife Council, I would be getting all checked for safety purposes especially, as mines has just came off emptying the contents all over my kitchen. A few smashed things to clean up” Mrs Hampton in her post warned that the incident could have been more serious, adding: “Luckily Max was in the livingroom or all of this would have landed on him.” Images captured by the Hamptoms show that the units were affixed to plaster board. Several local tradesmen commented their concerns that the units appeared to be affixed to the wall solely with rawl plugs with no indication that studs were used to take the weight of the cupboard. Benarty Matters spokesperson and Benarty Community Councillor, Tom Kinnaird comments: “There was potential for serious harm to a child in this case, and from the discussions going on, it seems the Council are cutting corners in many homes.” Mr Kinnaird adds: “Fife Council run their own “Trusted Trader” scheme so that consumers know who to trust when choosing someone to do work in their homes, however, can Fife Council be trusted? Clearly not. It’s deeply worrying that this kind of dangerous practice is being allowed at Fife Council, and the double billing for the initial work, followed by remedial work and possible compensation claims all comes out of the public purse, so officers must answer for using unqualified staff, with no supervision.” Mrs Hamptom has lodged a complaint with Fife Council.