The former Lochgelly Miners Institute was built with money from the Miners Welfare Fund during 1923 to 1925. They commissioned a Leven architect, D Haxton, who originally designed it as a single storey building, although the final design, became 2 storey, and incorporated the War Memorial at roof height above the front door.
It was built for the benefit of the public and community of Lochgelly with a Reading Room, Community Rooms and a Dance Hall.
In the 1940’s the first floor, Dance Hall, was utilised during the weekdays as a sports facility, particularly for table tennis, badmington and boxing. After the Second World War there were alterations which would allow it to be used as a Library, and for special dances and weddings.
During the 1960’s the upper floor was converted into a bar and in 1976 the library was relocated to Main Street.
The 1980’s saw the discontinuation of the upper floor as a bar, but still used as a social recreation area.
The ground floor was used for functions and an indoor bowling area was created. However, it could not be made a viable proposition and eventually became vacant in the early 1990’s and fell into disrepair.
A few years ago, Heritage Building Preservation Trust carried out a feasibility study which indicated that it was confident that a sustainable end use could be found and then assembled a funding package, with support from the local community, to retain the building. Historic Scotland also lists the building as Category B.
In 2013 the Miners Institute was closed due to cut backs and the continued economic collapse in the UK. The building was re-opened in 2014/2015 as business offices for local businesses and groups.
- 1923 – Planning & Construction
- 1925 – Open to Public
- 1940s – Converted for sport facilities, wedding & special events, and library
- 1960s – Top floor converted to bar area
- 1980s – Top floor started to be discontinued in it’s usage
- 1990s – Building usage discontinued and fell into disrepair
- 2007-2009 (exact dates unknown) – Restoration work started
- 2010 – 2013 – Open to Public with Fife Women’s Technology and Fife College utilising the building
- 2013 – Closed
- 2014/2015 – Re-opened as business/group premises operated by Ore Valley Housing Association