I love parsnips no matter how they’re cooked, and the apples make an irresistible combination.
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1 1/2 lbs (700 g) parsnip, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lb (225 g) Rome apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 qt (1 L) chicken stock
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
Preparation Instructions (Serves 8)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, and cook the parsnips and apples, tossing well until coated.
- Cover and cook gently over low heat 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apple juices start to run.
- Pour in the stock and add the sage, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer gently 30-40 minutes or until parsnips are soft.
- Pass through a food mill or purée in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return to pan and reheat gently.
- Add a little hot soup to the egg yolks, stirring well, then add the eggs to the soup.
- Do not allow to boil.