Symple Shortcodes is a WordPress plugin by WPexplorer which is distributed for free, and is a very useful plugin, to allow you to stylise pages & posts, without the need to extensively code html or CSS.

There is pros and cons for using shortcodes, but we personally like shortcode usage (in moderation) as it allows us to create nicer page layouts with minimum of fuss, and if we ever change theme but keep the plugin, then our content layouts stay in place.

We have put together this list of available shortcodes for the plugin, as a handy guide for our visitors and volunteers to quickly insert shortcodes via the text editor.

Symple Shortcodes – Version 1.4: Cheat Sheet (DOCX version) | Cheat Sheet (PDF Version)

Columns

[symple_column size="one-half" position="first"]
Sample Content
[/symple_column]

[symple_column size="one-half" position="last"]
Sample Content
[/symple_column]

Size: one-half, one-third, two-third, one-fourth, three-fourth, one-fift, two-fifth, one-sixth, five-sixth
Position: first, self, last

Sample Content
Sample Content

Button

[symple_button color="blue" url="https://lochgelly.org.uk" title="Visit Site" target="blank" border_radius=""]Visit Site[/symple_button]

Visit Site

Callout Button

[symple_callout button_text="button text" button_color="blue" button_url="http://www.wpexplorer.com" button_rel="nofollow"]Sample Content[/symple_callout]

Sample Content

Google Map

[symple_googlemap title="Postal Address" location="Lochgelly Fife Scotland" zoom="10" height=250]

Headers

[symple_heading type="h2" title="Header Example" margin_top="20px;" margin_bottom="20px" text_align="left"]

Header Example

Pricing Table

[symple_pricing_table]
[symple_pricing size="one-half" plan="Free" cost="$0" per="per month" button_url="#" button_text="Sign Up" button_color="gold" button_border_radius="" button_target="self" button_rel="nofollow" position=""]
<ul>
<li>30GB Storage</li>
<li>512MB Ram</li>
<li>10 databases</li>
<li>1,000 Emails</li>
<li>25GB Bandwidth</li>
</ul>
[/symple_pricing]

[symple_pricing size="one-half" position="last" featured="yes" plan="Basic" cost="$19.99" per="per month" button_url="#" button_text="Sign Up" button_color="gold" button_border_radius="" button_target="self" button_rel="nofollow"]
<ul>

• 25GB Bandwidth

Skill Bar

[symple_skillbar title="Sample Content" percentage="100" color="#6adcfa"]

Sample Content
100%

Social Icons

[symple_social icon="twitter" url="http://www.twitter.com/lgelly" title="Follow Us" target="self" rel=""]

twitter

Testimonial

[symple_testimonial by="Loch of Shining Waters"]This is the area for the text of the testimonial[/symple_testimonial]

Demo

This is the area for the text of the testimonial

Loch of Shining Waters

[symple_toggle title="This Is Your Toggle Title"]Sample Content[/symple_toggle]

This Is Your Toggle Title

Sample Content

Other

[symple_spacing size="40px"]

[symple_clear_floats]

For our site visitors that are running WordPress, you can get a copy of the Symple Shortcodes Plugin at: http://www.wpexplorer.com/symple-shortcodes/

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Loch of Shining Waters
Load More In Media & Technology

35 Comments

1. Romas

September 11, 2013 at 8:03 am

useful, interesting information!

2. Rashid

April 23, 2014 at 8:07 am

Thanks for the codes, after WP 3.9+TinyMCE update Symple Shortcodes icon in the editor is not appearing, so your post helped me in adding shortcodes

April 23, 2014 at 8:49 am

Thanks for the feedback, glad the post was helpful

• AJ Clarke

April 26, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Just to let you know it’s all updated for WP 3.9 and made even better – yay 😉

April 29, 2014 at 11:22 am

Thanks for the update AJ, your plugin is a time saver and highly recommended. Will try the updated version today, cheers 😉

• Davor

May 20, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Hi! I’m using symple shortcodes with the Adapt theme (also by you). Though I love the theme and the shortcodes in general I’m having a strange issue with the shortcodes.

I have a page where I apply the grid codes 1/4. I have two rows of 1/4 columns. But when I add a third row the columns no longer work properly. It’s like the Symple plugin is somehow limited to two rows… What might be the issue?

June 2, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hi Davor, you are best contacting AJ Clarke at: http://www.wpexplorer.com/ for help with your issue.

Out of curiosity, have you tried inserting the spacer code (symple_spacing size=”40px”) between each row of columns?

The only reason I ask is we have no issues with the amount of columns & rows we add, but we use the spacer. If it is still an issue, I can only think it might be a conflict with your theme and the plugin.

• Ignacio

November 2, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Dear Sir:

Please, could you inform me about how to get some detailed documentation for your plug-in?

I would like to learn about the many parameters the elements have.

Thanks in advance,

Ignacio

3. Matt

May 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hey, I use the symple codes and you’re right, it is a massive time saver. I have one issue thoug and I was wondering if you could advice on it.

I want to place two ‘buttons’ in the same line at the bottom of specific posts on a wordpress site but I want to place one left and the other to the right for ‘previous’ and ‘next’ buttons.

I was wondering if you know how to do this?

Cheers,

Matt

May 9, 2014 at 8:14 am

Thanks for the feedback. I would try and use two columns with the buttons wrapped in div align tags to control where the buttons appear. I would set-up the colummns as below;

[symple_column size="one-half" position="first"]
      < div align="left" >[symple_button color="blue" url="http://yourlink.com" title="Next" target="self" border_radius=""]Next[/symple_button]< /div >
      [/symple_column]

[symple_column size="one-half" position="last"]
      < div align="right" >[symple_button color="blue" url="http://yourlink.com" title="Prev" target="self" border_radius=""]Prev[/symple_button]< /div >
      [/symple_column]

Remember to remove the spaces from the div tags for the code to work.

4. Krissy

May 12, 2014 at 10:31 am

I’m using symple shortcodes to add columns to my site, and I’m just wondering if it’s possible to mix the columns… I would really love to have one-fourth, two-fourth and one-fourth but it seems to break. Any suggestions?

June 2, 2014 at 8:21 am

Try using the spacer code between the rows for your columns (symple_spacing size=”40px”)

5. Chad

May 15, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Great Plugin. I have been using it for a while now and recommend it all the time.
    Question: is there any way to place a ID into the buttons? (for Google Analytics tracking purposes)

June 2, 2014 at 8:25 am

Not that we are aware of, you can always get in touch with the author at: http://wpexplorer.com and suggest it as a feature request as I’m sure it would be a feature that they would consider as it certainly would make the plugin more beneficial for others.

6. MK

June 1, 2014 at 9:08 am

Don’t showing icon button in editor
    This URL Capture Image
    “http://masilcity.com/screenshot.png”

June 2, 2014 at 8:23 am

I would report the issue directly to AJ CLarke at: http://wpexplorer.com as looking at your screenshot I note you are using WordPress in a different language, so I’m guessing that the plugin will need updated for your language.

7. radek baranowski

June 26, 2014 at 12:50 pm

great tutorial! nice one!

8. Alba

September 23, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Hello,

Symple Shortcode icon doesn’t appear at the editor of Wordpress since some weeks ago. I uninstall the editor plugin by the case (tinyMCE Advanced) but the icon stills missing in the editor.

I installed the latest version of the pluging, I cleared the caché… but nothing.

I use wordpress in spanish, but I’ve never had any problems.

Can you help me?

Thanks

September 24, 2014 at 10:58 am

I am sorry we cannot help, we have the same bug on another website. You would be best to contact the plugin developer (listed in the article). I’m assuming that with WP4.0 recently released the plugin will be given another update soon.

9. Ignacio

November 2, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Please, could somebody tell me how to get the detailed documentation for these short codes?

For instance, I would like to know about setting parameters like fade_in in the callout element.

I have not been able to find docs about the full set of parmeters.

Thanks in advance,

Ignacio

10. Kim McDougal

July 31, 2015 at 12:33 am

I love this plugin and I have it working perfectly. There’s just one problem which I’m not sure if it’s a bug or not but on one of the pages on my website, I’m using the tabs. There appears to be a yellow color background behind each tab. Here’s the link to the page http://fchcc.com/media-room/. I can’t figure out how to remove it. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
    Kim

July 31, 2015 at 10:39 am

I’ve had a look at the source code being generated by the plugin and it is outputting fine. My initial thoughts is that there is a conflict with another stylesheet but I would need to have a proper look before I could identify the issue. btw You have a really nice site and very positive work.

• Kim McDougal

July 31, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Thank you very much, I used the Corporate WPExplorer theme to re-design the website. I appreciate your quick reply, I’ll look through the stylesheet and see if I can identify a problem there. I’ll let you know if I find out anything. Thanks again!
        Kim

• Kim McDougal

August 3, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Hi there, I couldn’t identify the issue and wondered if there’s a way you can dig deeper to help me remove the conflict. If you can, please let me know what info you would need. I appreciate any help. Thank you. Kim McDougal, First Coast Hispanic Chamber of Commerce

11. Kim McDougal

August 3, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Hi there! Guess what??? I figured it out and fixed it! The problem was the plugin was conflicting with another one called Contact Form Maker. I have a WP test site and I installed each plugin one at a time to nail down the problem. As soon as I installed that contact form maker, the symple shortcode tabs showed that background color. I got rid of that plugin and opted for the fast secure contact form which works better. Thank you so much! Glad it’s fixed!

August 4, 2015 at 8:37 am

Hi Kim, sorry for the late reply and I’m glad to hear you’ve got it fixed. Thanks for sharing the solution with us, I’m sure it will help others.

12. Caleb Pike

August 6, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I use this sheet all the time. Thank you so much for putting it together!

August 8, 2015 at 11:47 am

Glad it’s been of use. Nice site btw very handy info. We’re looking at new cameras so your site will be useful to us.

13. Shanna Rogers

September 3, 2015 at 3:59 pm

I’m trying to find updated documentation on the shortcodes, because TinyMCE doesn’t allow me to put the editor tab up. I’ve been using your rundown for some time but now most of the shortcodes (like progress bars and callout buttons) do not work but maps and others will. They video on the plugin page is really not helpful if you cannot see the editor.

Thank you for your help!

September 3, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Hi Shanna, thanks for letting us know about the shortcodes not working with newer versions. We are currently running version 1.4, so I’ll get this marked up on the site and get the latest version (2.0.1) shortcodes written up for this page. It’ll take us a few hours, so apologies in advance for the delay.

September 3, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Hi Shanna, we’ve upgraded to version 2.0.1 and we are not experiencing the same issues that you are having.

I would check to see if any other plugin is conflicting with Symple Shortcodes. De-activate all your plugins except for the shortcodes, check that it works, if it does, re-enable one plugin then do your checks, and keep on doing this one at a time until you can find the plugin with the conflict, or have ruled them all out.

If the plugins installed aren’t the issue, you can also try using one of the default WordPress themes, if it is working, and no conflicts with other installed plugins, then the likelihood is that there is a conflict with the theme you are using.

14. Mija

April 2, 2016 at 6:43 am

How to use Image Slider on symple shortcodes? I just want to include a few photos uploaded to a post. I am so confused.

15. Mija

April 2, 2016 at 6:54 am

Image slider is confusing me. Is there a break down on this?

16. DI 2013

July 22, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Great text. I like your web design also. continue your good work.