MossmorranWe have had several enquiries from individuals from all over Fife, asking if Mossmorran was responsible for all the noise in the early hours of Saturday morning, roughly between 3:00am – 5:00am. A couple of local residents from South Street in Lochgelly contacted us complaining about the noise from Mossmorran, so we can confirm Mossmorran was to blame.

A local resident has sent us a few photographs from the early morning flare which will be published in a separate post, and we also received a Doric poem written by the user McKintosh, which we have published in full below as it is written with a sense of humour but still manages to get a strong point across about the disruption and effects of living next to Mossmorran

The Dawn Chorus o Mossmorran
by McKintosh

The joys o the early morning call o Mossmorrans flare gaun wild,
Ah woke up fie ma sleep, ma world had gone on fire.
The roar went up at half past three,
A michty roar, the hoose did shake,
An in ma wee bed, ah really did quake.
The flame wis fierce, it lit the sky,
Ma sleep wis ower, the flame wis dire.
The noise reverberates aroond the hoose,
Like a jet plane landing apon ma roof.

The roaring flame hits the hoose,
Waves o shock an’ pressure,
Ah dinnae ken whit they’re called,
Only that they hurt ma heid.
I’ve tried tae phone tae mak complaints,
Only they’re aieways oot, it’s a neat wee trick ah think,
That ye cannie get onybidy hame.

They say the area does a profit,
An richt enough we got new buckets.
So cheers tae oor next door neighbour,
Oor very own petrochemical cracker plant,
Noo there’s a mooth-fie fer ye.

Reports o illnesses abound,
Ignored by those who own the land,
‘Cos there’s a profit tae be made.
Naebody wants tae hear, its no sae easy livin here,
Wi a cracker plant roarin in yer ear.
We noo an then hae some debate,
But the powers that be just shut the gate.

Residents o Lochgelly tak cheer,
A solution wis found or so ah hear.
They’re noo growin’ a row o trees,
Tae cut down sound an’save yer ears.

So block yer lugs an’ there’s aie guid news,
They’ll quieten doon as the day dawns forth.
They dinnae like to show throughoot the day,
Whit us poor folk hae tae endure.

MossmorranAw’ the MPs an’ the cooncillors who gien assent.
Planted it on oor doorstep ‘cos they’re no fie this local land.
Aw’ lyin’ in their beds still cosy an asleep,
Ah hope they spare a thought,
Fer us poor Lochgellians,
Awoken fie oor sleep.

Who gien permission fer this giant,
An’ lined their pockets wi’ their lyin,
An’ didnae gie a thought tae the children o the land.
Us wee local folk feart tae speak,
Wee Davie’s sittin’ at Goliaths feet.

Thank you for sharing your poem and letting us publish such a creative response about the problems of Mossmorran.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Loch of Shining Waters
Load More In Environment

51 Comments

1. eileen bathgate

June 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm

the noise from mossmorran this morning was terrible there was something went wrong cause there was no flare when that noise was going on.then all off a sudden they had to burn gas off come on mossmorran be truthful

June 11, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I never heard the noise, but I’m a heavy sleeper. We have had complaints and enquiries all day on the site about the noise. I don’t think we will ever find out what went wrong at Mossmorran but it seems to be a bad one this time.

2. Anne Reid

June 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm

The noise was really, really loud! I woke up thinking that something was wrong, I heard this terrible roaring round about 3.30 am, and I could feel the pressure hitting the house. No chance of being able to sleep with that noise going on, even with headphones on I could still hear it. And then round about 5.30 am, you could see the black smoke coming from the flame, very healthy I’m sure! Noise, pollution, and I’m cranky from lack of sleep, thanks to Mossmorran…again!

June 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm

When it flares like that there is also Light Pollution to consider which has some negative health effects as well.

3. Pete

June 12, 2011 at 7:00 am

liked yr reference to David and Goliath, ‘Wee Davie’s sittin’ at Goliaths feet’. lol.
    btw, gave me a fright tae!!!

4. lone_piper

June 12, 2011 at 8:45 am

The whole house and especially the double glazed windows are rumbling and vibrating. It’s like having a helicopter hovering over the house. With the proposed wind turbines and Mossmorran’s lights & flaring, has any one thought that the turbines may create a strobe effect? Don’t think this has been investigated? Living in Watters Crescent, we would have a direct view of this effect….

June 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I used to stay in South St. and I can remember how badly the windows used to rattle before all the houses were fitted with double glazing, this reduced the noise but the windows still vibrated badly.

Raith Wind Farm did do an investigation into the strobing effect from natural light, but I don’t think they bothered about the strobe effect when Mossmorran is in full flare, and it is a really good question that should be investigated and answered by Little Raith.

5. John B

June 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

Day 2 of constant very loud noise from Mossmorran and the constant rumbling! It gives me migraines every time it starts up at this level. I live up the top end of Lochgelly and even with all the doors and windows closed I can still hear it rumbling through the house. The amount of times I’ve been ill because of this plant over the years is countless! Its not only a high level of noise pollution, there’s something about the rumbling vibrations that causes stress/headaches/migraines also.

6. Colin Cooper

June 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hi all. I live in Dunfermline and was woken up by the noise on Saturday morning. I thought it was just a low plane at first but it lasted too long to be that. The flaring last night was incredibly bright – lit up the whole sky over this way.

June 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Some of the emails we received have been mentioning that the noise from Mossmorran could be heard from Edinburgh.

7. Logan Peters

June 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

A funny (& serious) wee video of the Moss, burning away in 2009. I can remember when it first opened and the local papers used the headline, ‘Tiger, Tiger. Burning Bright’. Aye, they would have been better using the title, ‘The Flaming Towers of Mordor’. 🙂 Its too, too much!

June 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for sharing, I quite liked the reference to the Lord of the Rings, there is a resemblance 😉

8. Taexalia

June 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

We see the light pollution in our garden here in Burntisland – bearing in mind there are hills and some distance between us and the plant, it makes us wonder just how “safe” these flarings really are. Why do they do it at night…? I’m skeptical.

9. Taexalia

June 12, 2011 at 2:52 pm

PS Given that one single Burntisland resident complained about the noise of the town clock and got results, one would expect Fife Council to regulate the noise from this plant. Noise pollution very much does have serious effects on health and well-being.

10. John B

June 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I tried to complain once to Fife Council (Noise Complaints) and they told me they don’t deal with complaints about Mossmorran. They gave me a tel. number to phone and I kept trying it throughout the next 3 days with no result, nobody answers the phone.
    I heard through the grapevine that the office dealing with complaints is mostly empty and if you do get a reply, the complaint isn’t really dealt with, and swept under the table.
    So how do you complain about the noise from Mossmorran when the Fife Council doesn’t take any responsibility, does anybody know?

11. James

June 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Taexalia

Why do they do it at night…? I’m skeptical.

I’m quite skeptical as well, I’ve always reckoned it is done during the night because less people will see the flare and complain. Mossmorran is probably gutted that the noise is what usually alerts people to the flaring going on.

12. Lochgelly

June 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Just noticed these on Twitter:

ibewee: Anyone in Fife know what’s going on at Mossmorran? I can see the clouds lit up & flickering from here in Dundee. Must be some flame!

spricersc:? The sky lit up to the north of Burntisland. Hope #mossmorran knows what it’s doing.

jordanrance_ Jordan Rance
    You can see the flare at Mossmorran from Livingston… what’s going on? It hasn’t been this bad in ages.

13. moira

June 13, 2011 at 7:17 am

Funny how you can have an incident like this, people woken from their sleep in the early hours by a loud roaring noise, a flame so large that it can be seen up at Dundee and across at Livingston, etc. and not a word from the Moss or the authorities. I live in Lochgelly, I can tell you the flame was miles high, the noise was mega-loud, the constant rumbling (sound waves?) shook the windows, and zilch information. At most there will maybe be a wee ‘oops sorry’ in the local paper…’its all under control folks, go back to sleep, there’s nothing you can do about it anyway’. Sorry for sarcasm, been living with the old Moss now for too many years!

June 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

This latest issue has shown in that it is not just a problem of the local areas, but a problem Fife wide and beyond. It is a shame that the only coverage of the incident is through this website, yet we cannot get any of the technical details of what went wrong.

I agree when it is reported in the press, all we will be told is that they regret the flaring but it is all under control.

FYI the reason mossmorran rumbles is because they are pushing steam through the stack, if they didn’t do this you would see all the black smoke, I guess mossmorrran would rather have noise complaints over complaints about the black smoke produced

14. carole

June 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

will we ever be told if there are problems with mossorran?,, ”i dont think so”, i just hope they know what they are doing!! i have to say though, this has been the loudest ive ever heard it, it is worrying when your not told of the problems thats going on, i do worry though that maybe one day something major will happen, “can we be reasured that all is well and that its 100% safe” again “i dont think so”, shouldnt we be told when there’s a flare up?, one thing for sure, ide rather we had a flare up than a blow up!!!

15. Colin Cooper

June 13, 2011 at 6:59 pm

June 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks for sharing the article 😉 Hopefully something will get done about it.

16. Taexalia

June 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I am waiting for confirmation that I can post an email here…..

Also, I have family members from Aberdeen staying at a Travelodge near Edinburgh Airport and they texted to say they can see the flare from there “looks huge” was their comment.

Will post more info when I get a thumbs up.

Re noise pollution – I have tons of links and research about the health effects of noise. It is something that is not taken seriously at all. I’ll try to compile a post tomorrow.

June 13, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Hi Taexalia, thanks for the update, and I look forward to the extra info, it would also be greatly appreciated if you could compile a post, if you have the time, but no worries if you can’t 😉

If you register an account, you will be sent a password (which you can change in your profile settings), and you will be automatically be given ‘contributor’ status, that will let you write posts if you wanted, any post needs to be approved by an admin first before it is live on the site.

Once they appear on the site, any post you create is credited to your profile and author page, which if you fill out your website info, gives you a link back to your site from every post you create.

I noticed you run your own site (which is quite nice) so I could upgrade your account to author, which would let you post without prior approval, and lets you add images.

17. Taexalia

June 13, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Oh Cool – it would probably be more useful to have the article here and more likely to been seen by people who might find it useful – or at least feel a bit more vindicated re noise/health. Also, a better fit than on my site

Thank you for the compliment about my site 🙂

more in a bit!

18. Taexalia

June 13, 2011 at 11:56 pm

OK I have been in contact with Judy Hamilton who is a Councillor in Kirkcaldy. Here are the relevant bits of her email – hope some of the info is useful…

“I am advised that noise and other complaints are dealt with through the ‘community safety group’ at Mossmorran. Can be contacted either through Catherine (catherine.cubitt@exxonmobil.com); or else through Fife Council Development Services (Stuart Nichol).”

This suggests that Fife Council does deal with noise complaints regarding Mossmorran, but it isn’t the Noise Team who do it. Believe me, I know how difficult it can be to try and discover which dept one needs so I hope this helps.

Next is an email Judy forwarded to me:

” 13 June 2011 14:26 >>>

Response Statement – Flaring At Fife Ethylene Plant

Management at the Fife Ethylene Plant would like to apologise to the
    local community for the disturbance caused over this last weekend. The
    initial noise and the ongoing elevated flaring are a result of a steam
    system upset on one of our compressors early on Saturday 11th June.

At no time was there any danger to the workforce or the local community.

SEPA, local neighbours and officials were all kept informed of the
    situation over the course of the weekend.

The cause of the process upset is being investigated and the
    investigation report will be shared with the relevant authorities

The plant is currently restarting and we anticipate the return to normal
    operation by the middle of the week.

If you require any further information please contact Public Affairs on
    Tel 01383 737000.

Catherine Cubitt
    Community Affairs Assistant
    ExxonMobil Chemical Limited
    Beverkae House, Mossmorran
    Cowdenbeath, Fife, Scotland, KY4 8EP
    Tel: +44-(0)1383-846341 Fax: +44-(0)1383-515253
    Internet e-mail: catherine.cubitt@exxonmobil.com

(Registered in England No. 00867162. Registered office: ExxonMobil House,
    Ermyn Way, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8UX)”

June 14, 2011 at 12:27 am

Hi, thanks for sharing this info, and I think your right it probably is more useful in the comments than a standalone article as this post is attracting the most comments and attention on the situation. Thanks again for posting 😉

19. Maria

June 14, 2011 at 7:57 am

Great info Taexalia! Thanks, finally a contact number 🙂 As for Mossmorran informing ‘local neighbours’ or giving an apology, raised eyebrows! Only info. I’ve had has been this site and then the link to the Guardian.
    Btw, like your site 🙂 Gonna have a good read of it. Cheers.

20. our household was woken in the earlyhours, thinking there was something seriously wrong with the boiler, the noise was unreal, was very frightening; we were concerned for our safety, there were people out in the streets at 3:30am with the same concerns.
    After contacting the police we were told that everything was under control, but i wasnt sure as i have a direct view of the plant from our bedroom window & all I could see were flames and loads of steam/smoke. Speaking to neighbours who had lived in the area for years, they hadn’t experienced anything like it before, the noise was so loud you could acually feel it.

I do feel the plant should offer residents in surrounding areas more information about the plant and also an appology for the inconvienience. Apart from the disturbing noise and worry, we were also knackered through-out Saturday, esecially as I had to be up early, so wasn’t best pleased.

Im just glad nothing serious came of it but do feel more wary the safty of the plant & also about living so close to the plant.

June 15, 2011 at 1:43 am

I’ve lived in Lochgelly all my life, and this incident has been the loudest I can remember hearing from the plant, the flaring was pretty bad as well.

Mossmorran have stated there was no danger to staff or local residents, but I personally feel, if there was no threat, there wouldn’t be this continuous flaring and the very loud noise on the day the incident happened. But like you, I’m glad nothing serious happened, this time.

We will be putting in a few Freedom of Information requests to Fife Council & the emergency services over the incident and try to obtain a copy of the accident report, but this will take at least a month before we get anything back.

Thanks for sharing your experience, living in Lochgelly, you forget that mossmorran is also having an impact in other areas. I’m still surprised that the latest incident was witnessed from as far as Dundee & Livingston.

21. Taexalia

June 14, 2011 at 9:22 am

Webstats are interesting – someone from Exxon Mobil’s ISP came to my blog via this post – so they are reading what’s being said 😉

My personal view is that they might garner more trust from the communities around them if they behaved like good neighbours – and waking people up in the middle of the night by force feeding noise into their homes is not behaving like a good neighbour and (are you listening Exxon Mobil?) noise IS a health risk.

I’ll try to get a post together on noise and (ill) health today.

June 15, 2011 at 2:25 am

That’s interesting, I haven’t had a chance to see my webstats today, but it’s nice to know they are monitoring, hopefully they will take note on some of the issues raised and work towards becoming a better neighbour 😉

I did have a site visit at mossmorran once and found the experience to be very controlled. Mossmorran paid for a bus to take up 15 people, we met a couple of the guides and engineers, they put on a buffet and showed us around the control room and site, as well as showing you the local mossmorran wildlife and other ‘green’ credentials.

There was a Q&A session, I asked specifics about known pollution effects from ethylene plants, but without any background knowledge in their area of expertise, they ran rings around me.

I did ask why they didn’t organise meetings in the local communities, as I feel they should be engaging with all the communities that are impacted upon by the plant, but they reckoned their staff would get shouted at and abused by locals, and they are not paid for that. I personally feel they were copping out and would rather invite smaller groups for better ‘control’.

22. Liz

June 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Hi,
    There seems to be a strange smell at the top of the town – Any chance it could be related to Mossmorran?

June 15, 2011 at 1:58 am

I couldn’t possibly say but wouldn’t be surprised if it was related, they may or may not have released gas, or had a leak. If we hear anything, I’ll update the comments.

23. Kate

June 15, 2011 at 9:12 am

Heath Issues.
    I live in Lochgelly, up the top end, my house faces Mossmorran. The flaring has been going on for 5 days now, the noise is constant, I can hear it in every room in my house. I have a long-term chronic illness, M.E., the constant noise and pressure of the rumbling worsens my condition. I know of others in this area who also become ill when the Moss is flaring for several days. People suffer with migraines, lack of sleep, tiredness, energy drain. It is known that the noise and the pressure of the rumbling impact on people who already have health issues, it puts an extra pressure on their already deplected energy. This is one of the hidden costs of having Mossmorran as our next door neighbour, it does impact on some people negatively.

24. tiptoes

June 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm

and fife council want to build houses closer to mossmorran,you couldnt make it up

June 17, 2011 at 2:04 am

Fife Council have just started another consultation on all the proposed housing, there is a note for the development at the South of Lochgelly to make sure that the development takes into consideration future expansion towards Mossmorran. The plan seems to be to have housing all the way down to the bypass, wind farm & Mossmorran. I reckon many will agree with your sentiment.

25. Anon (for now)

June 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Re June 11 .
    Live in aberdour… noise level thro double glazing with also secondary glazing was like constant airplane immediately overhead …at around 3am opened windows to investigate and it was genuinly like Mossmorran will explode if it continued much longer… I eventually phoned police … it was pressure from steam they said and they would be flaring to relieve it … was it just a coincidence?? police car blue light flashing on main Aberdour to Burntisland road ie road block ??
    Gordon Brown is their allie ….no matter what the local objections ….its not even the local jobs that really matter (lets face it the plant was designed to close soon originally anyway)… he aappears unfortunately too motivated about keeping Shell and Exxon sweet yet he.s done it without controlling them (as he could have) in their noisy levels and very often avoidable (by keeping to daytime ) unsociable operating hours …

Huge Flaring done to relieve pressure and eventually noise level dropped a loy but still elevated.
    Whole operation geared to night time activity !! they dont care thats when most folk need to sleep and the loading of boats at Braefoot is regularly above generally accepted planning noise levels overnight continuously 3/4 times a week… every week.
    Exxon know all this already and try to say frequency of noise below human hearing but can be “felt ” and definately disturbs sleep…plant should have been due to close early this decade …its a health hazard in so many ways and now old and becoming less safe as they try to extend the plant beyond its intended life,/ decomissioning date.

Proposed wind farm also will be a noise problem …object to stop it b4 it gets built !!!
    Noise amplitude modulation (look it uo on net) is a proven noise problem again low frequency type noise disturbing sleep patterns! Village of Saline nr dunfermline got together and successfully stopped a wind farm.

But Mossmorran and Braefoot are also a serious safety risk Wind farms cant explode as far as i’m aware .
    They dont allow flaring up at the Aberdeen end of the pipe why are we the mugs who do!

Something should be done the plants old and not safe …..Surprisingly little press coverage ever wonder why ??

June 17, 2011 at 3:17 am

Thanks for commenting and sharing your experience of the incident and living near Braefoot.

This latest incident has shown me how the shell/exxon plant and connected complexes is really a Fife wide problem and having bigger negative effects, on the local communites surrounding these complexes and the wider areas.

The one good thing about this latest incident, is that it is the first time we have heard from other communities about their concerns over Mossmorran and Braefoot, which really begs the question of how big a problem has Fife got with the Shell/Exxon complexes, and should there be an independent inquiry into Braefoot and Mossmorran to discover the danger levels of the plants, the health risks, worst case scenarios, the pollution levels, and discover how big an impact these complexes have on Fife and neighbouring districts?

I personally feel it is time for all the communities effected to be told the true nature of the danger and risks the public faces from living near to the complexes

Thanks for commenting and thanks for the info on the wind farm, I’ll look it up as that is another bit of an issue for the Lochgelly area.

26. maxineQ

June 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

Went to Edinburgh through the week, and you could see the flare from Mossmorran even there! The tourists were all taking photos of it, I was tempted to start a discussion with them all to let them know the hassle we have with it. Yes, its definitely a more wide-spread problem then just Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath. I was interested to read the comments from Aberdour and Braefoot, I didn’t even realise that they were experiencing the problems also, the noise and the rumblings! Its like we’ve effectively all been kept in ignorance of each others situation. Local papers have done very little to give us a voice and air our concerns. As for the noise supposedly being “below human hearing but can be “felt ” ” I don’t know what ‘noise’ Exxon are actually referring to, but I can assure them that the noise coming from their plant the last 6 days has been so noisy that I have had to keep all my doors and windows closed, and even then I can still hear the rumbling throughout the house! It’s like a plane flying constanly overhead. What madness to have a cracker plant sitting slap-bang in the middle of so many communities!

27. no prob …wind farm will probably be a problem in Aberdour also …most people here havent even considered it ..but its only just over the hill at back of aberdour.

The Braefoot / Mossmorran plant should be shut down….its noisy and inherently unsafe and well beyond its designed life …leading to bigger risks as time goes on … the authorities involved know the noise pollution etc etc they will do nothing and bury the story in PR spin rubbish like it was a minor incident ….until it actually explodes!!

It needs to be aired on national tv /press….forget the authorities they will sap your energy till u give up whilst they pretend to be concerned!!!.
    Believe me they have all been trained in what to do and say to you .

Take it higher/bigger and then you’ll have a chance to get somewhere.

There will be hundreds or low thousands of households quietly suffering from this… i only found your site when looking to see press coverage….on internet only Courier covered it …nothing in the Dunf Press and certainly nothing on Tv news or National Papers scotsman etc . its not a coincidence … its called news management. its kept out the news deliberately.

June 18, 2011 at 10:32 am

I agree there is never anything substantial press coverage wise, and it is the usual mantra that is usually covered, ie there’s nothing to worry about, it was just a small hiccup etc.

This time we are being told it was something to do with the valve pressure, but anyone I’ve spoken to reckon there was an explosion at the plant based on the sound levels, and the initial noise that woke up a fair amount of people in the surrounding communities.

The best way I’ve found so far to tackle mossmorran is just publicise it online, and hopefully more peple will come forward and express their opinions about Mossmorran.

I have heard through the grapevine that some of the mossmorran staff have shown concern over sites like Facebook and Twitter because people have been expressing an opinion which they can’t control. If this is true then it shows that mossmorran are monitoring online communications, and people should use online facilities to express their opinions on mossmorran to send them a very public loud and clear message.

28. Aberdour community have been bought / bribed by adding 9 holes to the golf course when Braefoot first opened years ago.
    And a few thousand pounds here and there for community play park etc etc …its all bribery.. and PR …and is buttons in the scheme of things …yet the locals can unfortunately become hood winked …. if you took a trip round the houses bounding the golf course and a little higher on the North side of Dovecot park etc up i’ll wager a high number of people are adverseley affected by Braefoot noise over night.

29. Lochgelly

June 18, 2011 at 10:36 am

The Lochgelly Community Council (and other Community Councils) are arranging a meeting with reps from Mossmorran. The Lochgelly Community Council are seeking people to raise questions which they will put towards Mossmorran.

A meeting is to take place soon at Mossmorran with a representative from each Community Council in the locality. We hope a question and answer session will take place? Hopefully this will be our chance to raise questions and help alleviate the worry and stress of the past few days. If you have any relevant questions you would like raised please get in touch.

You can contact them via the LCDF site at: http://lcdf.org.uk/?p=149

If anyone has specific questions they want asked, you can also leave them here and we will pass on them. I’ll update the comments when we know the time and date of the meeting.

30. Taexalia

June 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Exxon Mobil are reading this blog – I know this because they came to my blog by clicking a link here… they visited my site several times and concentrated on the About Me page and I assume they are monitoring what’s being said here.

I’d like to think they would get the picture that they are causing problems for people and that they aren’t trusted, but I suspect they would really like to silence the conversation 😉

And it’s true that low frequency noise – noise that can be felt more than heard – can be very damaging to health, even to folk who don’t think it’s bothering them.

June 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

I haven’t had a chance to check the webstats as yet, but I figured they would be monitoring sites. I reckon they would love to silence the conversation on their practices.

At the end of the day, if they weren’t doing anything bad they wouldn’t receive any criticism.

Forgetting the pollution (light, noise, air) for a second it also annoys me that they continuously hype up their ‘green’ credentials, and usually do this by working with small groups of children showing the wildlife at the plant, or doing other projects which seem to lack in substance but have a high marketing and pr factor.

Thanks for posting your article, I’m still working through the info on the second link in your post, while I was aware that there is health effects associated with noise, I didn’t realise that some of the effects were so damaging. Thanks again for posting.

31. Hey-ho, Life

June 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm

According to this newspaper report hundreds of tonnes of gas was being burned off.

So where does it all go, just vanishes into thin air, lol. Cough, cough, splutter.

32. Lochgelly

June 19, 2011 at 10:01 am

Thanks for sharing the article, I noticed they are claiming it is a valve failure, but most people who have contacted us, have shown concern that the initial noise was an explosion. I don’t think we will ever get the truth.

33. sam

June 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm

When Mossmorn was built everyone including Fife Council guaranteed us we would never know it was there!!!!!!!!

34. Angiepants

June 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thank goodness for this website. I have lived in Cowdenbeath for 24 years and I have never heard or seen mossmorran so bad. I was also woken in the middle of the nite by the rubble and flaring at the site. It was so bad that my dorma room was shaking, this was what woke me because i wear earplugs to bed. My dog was also disturbed by this and sat in the corner shaking.
    For days it was obvious that there was something wrong, but like so many of you have said, through the noise there was a deafening silence from the people in charge. We are constantly reassurred about mossmorrans good safety record, but how safe is it really? What i really want to know is where mossmorrans chief engineers live?.
    And as for the flare just releasing steam into the air, I have never known steam from clean water to dirty windows and cars. It is appalling that there is never a definite answer as to what actually has gone wrong.
    How much longer are the local and national politians going to be bought off with OAP christmas dinners and street bins. If the mossmorran plant poses ANY risk to the public both locally and further afield surely we should be made aware.
    I apologise for the rant, but this is just the culmination of 24 years pent up frustration and anger.

June 23, 2011 at 11:30 am

Hi, thanks for commenting, and do not worry about ranting, as far as I’m concerned, people are entitled to express their opinions, and personally, I am glad people have chosen to express their concerns here and give more publicity over what it is like living next to Mossmorran. Hopefully more people will come forward and share their concerns and experiences of living near Mossmorran, so we can get a better idea of how big a problem Mossmorran is, and the detrimental impact they are having on several communities.